Nov 23, 2010 News
With so many people changing devices and jumping from BlackBerry to Android to iPhone to BlackBerry, it’s getting harder to keep up with family and friends. SMS is the old standard, but some choose not to pay the fees or be limited in the number of messages they can send. Pinch hopes to ease the pain with their cross-platform messenger that is very similar to Kik messenger (which was recently pulled from BlackBerry App World). Pinch runs across Android and Apple devices for the moment, with a BlackBerry app coming in the near future. Features of Pinch include:
- Makes it easy to stay connected and interact with your contacts, without having to switch between applications. With Pinch you can send messages and animated emoticons, explore cities through games and competitions, and find people with an interactive pin-map powered by Google.
- You can add friends directly from your phone contacts, Facebook, or Twitter and group them by category. Your friends, colleagues, and family can each be kept in their own easy- to-access group.
- Never spend money on SMS again. Pinch uses your existing data plan to find and interact with friends from all around the world, without using your phone’s SMS function.
- Pinch’s unique leaderboard adds games and friendly competition for users. Every time you use Pinch to send messages and check locations, accumulate points to win prizes, such as the iPad and other fun giveaways.
Pinch incorporates not only messaging, but some foursquare-esque features to earn points as well as a few other location based/map features. You can also share images and attachments (unlike Kik) which puts Pinch a step ahead. Check out the video above then head to pinchapp.com for more.
Nov 23, 2010 News
MovieTickets.com has released their BlackBerry app and it allows you to purchase tickets, browse movies and showtimes and find theaters. One of the downsides to many of these applications is the inability to select particular seats for movie premiers which can be really frustrating when you arrive at the theater and get stuck with whatever seats are left. It’s for this reason that you often have to go to the theater’s site to purchase your tickets. So while using these apps can be very convenient, it’s always important to double check.
Oct 19, 2010 News
- Fast, Smooth and Fun: This is the fastest poker game available for BlackBerry. Our quick speeds and easy to use interface ensure that you’ll spend more time taking down pots.
- Automatic Table Selection: We’ll pick the most appropriate table for your Bankroll, Experience and Speed – All you have to do to start playing is press “Play.”
- Slick, Easy-to-Use UI: Our new and improved user interface is designed for high resolution devices providing vivid colors and smooth animations. Poker actions are easy to use and are inspired by BlackBerry’s own home screen.
- Unlock Achievements: Earn over 35 unique achievements that will reward you for winning pots, playing hands and getting lucky. We’ll continue to add new and exciting achievements with each free content update.
- Stylish Avatars: Choose from over 30 unique Avatars, our high-resolution, full detail avatars are sure to make an impression. We’ll continue to add more avatars with free content updates.
- Free Content Updates: THK Live is designed to be easy to update. We’ll be able to push out new and exciting features and new content as a direct downloads.
- Chat 2.0: We’ve dedicated a lot of time and effort to create the best chat system in a poker game. You’ll be able to quickly and conveniently taunt or praise your opponents without missing a hand.
- Table Themes: Prepare yourselves to play on white sand beaches, or in the High-Roller rooms at a luxurious casino. With Table Themes, you’ll be able to change the look and feel of your poker experience.
- Pretzil and other Social Media: Connect with friends and integrate with your social networks.
The best part? The beta is free to download and play. The only thing is that when the game does go official Magmic will be resetting all Bankrolls, Achievements Earned and Player Statistics in order to ensure a level playing field. The download is available from BlackBerry App World today, then you just create an account you’re all set.
The BlackBerry DEVCON 2010 team was really excited to partner with the fine folks at foursquare for the BlackBerry DEVCON foursquare Challenge. Judging by the amount of attendees that lined up at the Social Media desk to claim their limited edition tee shirt. See what Peter Nofelt, lead developer of the foursquare BlackBerry app, says about the Challenge, Peter’s DEVCON 2010 session, and the future of foursquare. Check out the video below and don’t forget the new version of foursquare is coming soon !
The growth of Blackberry Messenger from humble messaging app to a significant mobile communication platform has led to the need for social media integration . In interest of Blackberry app developers RIM recently announced that it would be opening the doors for certain BBM features so that App developers can integrate them readily into their apps . Most of the features if developed from scratch would take a long time to implement when compared to getting super app and BBM ready .
There are lots of advantages that BBM brings to BlackBerry software. BlackBerry Messenger’s social elements allow developers to build in social connectivity based on your pre-existing BBM contacts instead of having to develop and build social connections separately for each app. With 28 million users, there is also incredible word-of-thumb marketing potential when promoting your application.
Developers can also take advantage of BBM’s location-based services, as well as access the device’s video camera for video streaming.
- Invite other BBM users to download your app, or start a social interaction from within your app.
- Determine which of your BBM contacts has downloaded your app
- Access to BBM user profiles, including avatar, status, and location
- Add an application box to a user’s BBM profile that can display and broadcast achievements and updates
- Create BBM groups for your app
- Start embedded chats with BBM contact without leaving your app
- Sharing content with your BBM contacts
- Create sub-communities within your app, even if users are not each others’ contacts
- Allow social interactions within your sub-communities
- Stream data between users running your app, such as communication, multiplayer or turn-based gaming, and location
Sounds pretty good , but blackberry application developers need to wait for a few more months for the API’s being available in early 2011 . Meanwhile blackberry developers can register with RIM to receive updates and stay in touch with the new BBM social platform .
Below is the official press release of the BBM social platform
Tags: announcements, Application development, BB, blackberry apps, Blackberry Developer, blackberry developer news, Blackberry Development, BlackBerry Messenger Services, blackberry news, developers news, launch, new release, News, press release
Whatever is the model of your Blackberry App be it Free, paid, ad-supported, try-and-buy, or freemium , Blackberry has introduced their three new services in interest of blackberry developers namely Advertising , Payment and Analytics for the tons of apps making their way to the Blackberry app world in the coming year .
If an ad-supported model doesn’t fit your needs, maybe micro-transactions/in-app payment is more up your alley. The BlackBerry Payment Service will allow you to easily offer digital goods for sale in your app while still providing the consumer with the same trusted and consistent purchase experience they have today in BlackBerry App World. As you would expect, with BlackBerry Payment Service, you will have access to the same payment options that BlackBerry App World supports today for traditional app purchases: PayPal, credit card, and carrier billing.
BlackBerry Payment Service can be used in :
- Digital Content, such as eBooks, magazines, photos, artwork, or digital property that you can use on a BlackBerry smartphone.
- Additional App Functionality, which might include things like new features, levels, characters, or games. This use lends itself extremely well to the freemium app model and should be used as the new gold standard for try-and-buy.
- Services, such as premium video content, subscription renewal, pay-as-you-go application use, or voice transcription. Basically, any kind of digital service that a BlackBerry smartphone user pays to use.
The Payment Service enables developers to leverage a range of business models through the sale of digital goods within their applications. The Payment Service is simple and easy to implement for developers and provides end users with a fast, consistent and secure purchase experience.
The service comes as a boon to Blackberry application developers who always had a desire to generate some decent revenue out of their try and buy business model which lagged in terms of payment service. The BlackBerry Payment Service SDK is in beta now and the full SDK and app implementation is expected to launch this fall.
Sep 8, 2010 News
Twitter’s Evan Williams recently blogged about the impact that smartphones and mobile users have had on the social network. Currently, mobile users have jumped 62 percent since mid-April and 16% of all new users to Twitter start on mobile. Also of interest, 46% of active users make mobile a regular part of their Twitter experience.
With respect to BlackBerry in particular, Twitter for BlackBerry accounts for 7% of total tweets as measured over the last 30 days. With Twitter growing past 145 million registered users, 7% accounts for a staggering number of Tweets. The top ten list includes:
- twitter for iphone
- twitter for blackberry
- Google friend connect
We can see some interesting changes in usage of twitter via websites and apps , in coming months we will see the growth of mobile apps usage rather than traditional Web browser usage , like we come to see the ubertwitter in the list climbing up there will be apps which come to the presence on smartphones very soon as the blackberry developer seem to working hard enough to get the best apps out in the App world .
Sep 8, 2010 News
Nimbuzz has recently come up with an updated version of their instant messaging application for BlackBerry. Version 1.3 is now available for download readily. This release solves the know issues folks were facing as well as adds some new features.
Chat history – so you can continue your chats where you left off.
Facebook connect – no more disconnection notifications
See which of your phone contacts are already using Nimbuzz and when they are online
Send free SMS text message invites to your phone contacts so they can join Nimbuzz
Nimbuzz is available for download at BlackBerry App World today or you can head on over to their mobile site and grab the download as well.
Sep 6, 2010 News
Poynt has been updated to version 1.6 in App World and while there a few small feature additions, the update really focuses on Torch support and BlackBerry 6 integration. For those who downloaded Poynt when the Torch first launched, it worked but it wasn’t a build that was specifically designed for the device. The latest version runs very smoothly on the Torch and leverages some BlackBerry 6 features such as Universal Search. Some of the new features include:
- Unified Search integration on 6.0
- Context Menu enhancements on 6.0
- Map Route with Google Maps
- Rotten Tomatoes ratings
- Added top and bottom shortcut keys “t” and “b” for lists not arranged by alphabet
- Ability to turn weather on and off
- Ability to set number of movie results
- Sort movies by alphabet or rating
- Faster GPS on 5.0 and newer devices
- Accuweather extended 6-10 day forecast link
- Weather improvements
Bug fixes in the latest version include:
- Fixed BB Maps not working on the Torch
- Fixed track pad issues on the Torch
- Fixed touch screen issues on the Torch
- Fixed issues with AT&T Navigator 2.0
- Fixed issues with scrolling weather and top 10 movies on 6.0
- Minor bug fixes on 5.0 and below
Aug 25, 2010 News
There’s a new FREE theme by Zuki Software Ltd a premium blackberry theme developers . It’s a simple and elegant theme that is still premium. It has six customizable icons on the front screen. The background is beaded, the colors are black, grey and white, and transitions are really nice. The theme is light and doesn’t hinder productivity. You’ll like the simplicity yet fluid movement of this theme. Especially the chain cursor and there’s a lot more in it . A good time to check out Zuki Themes for free!